Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2026

One More Breath, One More Voice

In my previous speech, I spoke about two near-death experiences.

Heart bypass surgery. Systemic sepsis. Thirty-nine inches of scars. Three choices that rebuilt my strength: Decide, Forgive and Surrender.

Today, I continue from there.

After learning how to breathe again, I had to learn how to use my voice again.

Not medically. Personally.

When I faced the hospital bed, breathing tubes, alarms, fever, and helplessness, something changed.

I stopped asking, “How do I impress people?”

I started asking, “What truth can I not leave unsaid?”

 

That is where confidence begins.

Many of us think confidence in public speaking means being fearless on stage. Standing tall. Speaking loudly. Never forgetting a line.

But confidence is not the absence of fear.

Confidence is the decision that fear will not own our voice.

 

I still remember moments when speaking felt frightening. Not because I had nothing to say, but because I cared too much about being judged.

Would I sound good enough?

Would I forget my words?

Would my story feel too personal?

When we think like that, the stage becomes a courtroom. The audience becomes the judge. And we become the accused.

But public speaking does not have to be a trial.

It can become a service.

That shift changed me.

 

When I stand before an audience now, I remind myself: my role is not to perform perfection. My role is to deliver value. To offer one thought, one story, one sentence that may help someone see life differently.

Confidence grows when our focus moves from self-protection to audience contribution.

There are three lessons I have learned.

First: Decide.

Before every speech, I decide why my message matters.

Not why I matter. Why the message matters.

When I spoke about my scars, I was not asking for sympathy. I was using pain to carry meaning. Thirty-nine inches of scars was not just a medical detail. It was evidence that life can break the body, but not necessarily the spirit.

As speakers, we can begin by deciding what our message is really for.

If our speech is only to look impressive, fear becomes stronger. But if our speech is to help, inform, encourage, or awaken, courage has a place to stand.

 

Second: Forgive.

We can learn to forgive ourselves for not being perfect.

Many people lose confidence because they punish themselves after every speech. One forgotten line. One awkward pause. One serious face in the audience.

Then we say, “I am not good at speaking.”

But one imperfect speech is not a life sentence.

It is feedback.

I have learned to forgive the shaky voice, the missed line, the moment when emotion comes faster than words.

Because sometimes, the audience does not need a flawless speaker.

They need a real one.

A polished speech may impress people.

But an honest speech can move people.

 

 

Third: Surrender.

We can choose to surrender the need to control everything.

We cannot control every audience reaction, every question, or every silence.

But we can control our preparation.

Our breathing.

Our intention.

Before I speak, I return to one breath.

One breath is enough to begin.

The same breath I fought for in the hospital is the same breath that carries my voice today.

That is why public speaking is no longer just a skill to me.

It is a privilege.

To speak means I am alive.

 

So if you want to become a more confident public speaker, remember three things.

Your voice creates impact when you decide, forgive, and surrender.

 

So the next time you speak, prepare your message. Focus on the audience. Use your voice with purpose.

Because confidence is not about having the loudest voice in the room.

Confidence is when your voice creates impact.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment